Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Bolder Boulder 2010 a spectators view

Anne and Nicole decided to run the Bolder Boulder which is the nations best 10K and draws between 50-55K participants a year. I am the one that usually races so I spent some time helping plan the event so it would be fun for all.
We decided to us the RTD as the transportation choice up to the race and I would come later with the kids. I took them to the station and they were able to get on the 5:10am bus. I received a call from Anne an hour later telling me that they had checked in and they were in the 8:10 wave start.
The kids were dressed and we were in the car by 6:30am and had smooth sailing until the last 3 miles on Hwy36. With the crowds expected to be over 100,000 strong I was concerned with parking and getting my 3 kids around in time to see Anne and Nicole on the course. To my surprise I was able to find a parking spot close to mile marker 1 and mile 5. We were able to get a great spot just after the mile 1 banner and started to cheer. The kids know how to cheer and they had the cowbells rocking and were giving high 5's to the runners as they came by.



They were having so much fun that 3 different film crews came and took video of the kids. Lexi was interviewed and decided to be shy for the first time in her life!!!


A few minutes later Anne and Nicole came running by and almost missed us. We cheered as they passed by and then made our way to mile number 5. We took our time and had fun watching the never ending wave of people doing this event. Some were running, walking, wearing crazy costumes and all seemed to be having a great time.

Mile 5 was again very easy to get to and find a perfect cheering spot. The enthusiasm at mile 5 versus mile 1 was way different and so we tried to cheer even louder. Jackson and Josh had a photo make it on the Daily Camera and I was able to capture a great shot of the kids giving high 5's.
Anne and Nicole looked awesome as they came by and I was able to capture a pretty good shot myself.


After they passed we made our way up to the stadium and found the girls just a few minutes later. We walked through the expo and had some good eats and snacks.
Making our way back the the car all seemed to be in great spirits. Jackson and Josh were taking the scout motto of doing a good turn daily serious and picked up trash on the way back to the car. We all had a great time and will try to make this a family event next year. I am pleased with how well this event was done and if asked would recommend the Bolder Boulder 10k to anyone that inquires. It will not be your PR race but you will not find a more fun run race either.

Great job girls,

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I PR'ed! It can be done. ;-)

    Great pictures of the kiddos, glad everyone had a fun time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for organizing it Tyler! It was a blast and I can't wait to do it again next year!

    ReplyDelete